Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Absolute Terror of Shots


Also known as, "Are you sure you are 22?"

Why yes, nurse , I am 22, I am just terrified of needles. It's actually rather interesting to watch, or to think about. This Monday, I had to get an immunization shot. Why does that matter?

Well, I am more terrified of needles than is strictly healthy. Mentally, I know that is doesn't hurt, not really. I've hurt myself more stubbing my toes, skinning my knees, doing pretty much everything else out there. It doesn't hurt long, maybe all of one second. There's no real side effect, it doesn't hurt, and doesn't cause any sort of trauma at all.

And yet the very picture of a needles causes nausea for me.

However, holding on tight to a second nurses hands ( I am a bit of a wimp) I took the shot like...okay more like an 8 year old than an adult. Afterward, came the really fun event. I can take the shot, but after?

Well, I had a panic attack.

I could not explain to you why I am afraid of a needle. But I do know that letting such a minor thing affect me is not right. So I don't. Yes, I will have the panic attack after, and that's okay. It's a part of being scared. But will this stop me from getting future immunizations, or future shots? No.

I am scared of needles, but I do not cower from them.

There's a difference.

I know last week I went on about fear, but I think it's important to understand that there are lots of different kinds of fears out there. I talked about the fear of others last week. Of how that fear, that ignorant fear, could affect people who were innocent. My friend suffers due to fearful neighbors, who do not understand.

But that is not the only sort of fear out there. It comes in so many forms that sometimes we don't even realize that.

I am scared of needles.

But I will take my shots, face that fear, and be better for it.

That is the important thing. Facing what would stop you. Whether you are scared of being home alone, of being the the dark, or needles, or of the next door neighbor's weird speaking in another language, you cannot let this stop you from living your daily life.

The best part? You don't even have to be brave to face your fears. I don't consider myself brave to be sure. Just stubborn. I'm too stubborn to let shots stop me. I'm too stubborn to let much of anything stop me, to be honest. It's a bit of a failing, but it's one I don't mind so much, if it means I can get the job done.

So face that scary monster n the closet. I suggest a long stick, a stuffed bear, a flashlight, and determination. Those gremlins under the bed? Stomp on their wee little fingers, so they can't grab on? And that needle in the nurses hand?

Well, close your eyes, take a deep breath, and stay still. It'll be over in just a second.

One Final Byte: What the deuce is bravery, if not stubborness?

No comments:

Post a Comment