Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Castles and Bonn


Wow, what a week this second week has been. So much has happened, I do not know where to begin. Normally, I prefer to begin in the middle, but perhaps chronologically, I should begin at the beginning for once.

So last week was full of the chaos of getting settled into a foreign home. This past week was—also full of that same sort of chaos. I have so much to talk about.

Firstly, I shall begin with what I did after I posted my blog last week. That is to say that I went out a finished up getting my dependent ID card. As a government brat, mine is only for overseas installations, and nothing in America. Having not lived overseas previously, I didn't really have one or need one.

I should like to note that I was informed by a friend that on dependent ID cards they ask you not to smile. Apparently, this meant not to show your teeth, because I do have a small smile on my card. I also have the most quizzical expression on my face I have ever seen. I had one eyebrow raised. I kid you not! An eyebrow was raised, and I reminded myself of Spock.

One should never look at one's ID and see Spock. It's terribly discombobulating, especially if you are female, and not male.

After the whole ID fun, we didn't do too much until Saturday, when we did an awful lot in a successful attempt to get the thirteen year old and I out of the house. We spent the day at a nearby castle! I kid you not, I was inside a castle. It wasn't a very well perserved one of course. All falling apart, and broken stone work everywhere. We had lunch there for about an hour and a half, and I spent probably the next three hours taking pictures of a castle and admiring the stone work much to the annoyance of the thirteen year old.

I think my dad was mostly amused. Mostly.

After the castle, we watched the Adjustment Bureau which was a romance, but an action-romance-drama, which basically just means they ran a lot while professing true love to someone they only had met a handful of times and didn't really know much at all about. I know right? I mean, really? I don't get that about romances.

But despite the cheesy romance bits, it was a decent movie. I heartily recommend you watch it...when it comes on TV. Not worth the price of tickets.

The next day being Sunday, I went to church. There are a surprising number of English speakign baptist churches around, but none of them claim to be Southern baptist, so I am tentatively going to try them out until I find one that suits. This one was a decent church, but I forgot about my height, and arrived a little late, so sat in the back. There were three tall people, all in a little colum, in front of me, so I couldn't see a thing. My heels haven't arrived yet, but it did say up to 15 business days, I think, so I'm not worried.

We also watched Thor. This is my second time seeing it. I would so watch it a third time. I highly reccommened this, and my recommend it in the 3D, if only for the credits. The credits in 3D would be superb. Truly superb. The acting was great, and I admit, the first time I saw it, I expected it to be dorkier than it turned out to be, because no matter how awesome Mjolner is in myths, it's still a hammer.

Then on Monday, I pulled up a second dresser to use to store my things in from the basement with the help of my dad. Dads, by the way, are great at moving furniture. Other than that, I didn't do all that much. Tuesday though, we traveled all the way to Bonn on business for the thirteen year old, and got to eat lunch by the Rhine. It was a gorgeous lunch, and the river was absolutely beautiful. On the other side of the water I was bikers, runners and traisn go back. Cars were rare. In the watere were something called boatels (a boat hotel) and of course barges.

That brings us up to speed on Wednesday, which is today by my counting, but probably not today by yours.

One Final Byte: Katze is hard to say, ask Rosetta Stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment