Monday, March 19, 2012

Week Forty Six: Paris Day Two: Evening

So This was meant to go up yesterday, but I couldn't get my bog to upload it.  Sorry for the technical difficulties!


Day Two: Evening

Here we go, are you ready? Before our boat trip, we have a traditional French dinner. That's right. Traditional. French. That means, I, intrepid traveler, tried the all too fame escargo! I ate snails.

So here's the dish on snails. It's fresh garlic, butter, and snail, cooked inside the shell. You get a shell clamps and a pick to pull the meat out of the shell with. The meal itself, well.

Fresh garlic is green. Bright green like green peas. The butter is melted and will remain liquid. The snail is, of course brown. It is not an appetizing looking meal at all. In fact, it looks downright disgusting. But I am a brave, brave explorer of foreign tastes, willing to try any food once. After figuring out how to get the little bugger out of the shell, I nibbled, cautiously.

It is still snail after all.

I tasted, I determined, I decided.

Eh. Not so bad. Like claims, but less tasty. About the same texture though, and takes to be honest. Kind of chewy, made of meat, tastes like sea food. Tastes decent, but not my favorite meal in the world. Not really all that gross to eat, though it's still gross to look at. Escargo, by the way, is an appetizer. The main course was salmon on a bed of mixed vegetables covered in a white sauce.

This is the best salmon I have ever had in my entire existence, and I not only approve, I rejoice. It was, no doubt, the sauce. The sauce made it phenomenal. Some sort of hollandaise, I think, though I'm not certain one hundred percent.

Desert was a rich chocolate cake with a chocolate cream in the middle, and with raspberry sauce on top. It was sweet, flavorful and not too much of either flavor.

From here, we had our boat trip. This was a beautiful ferry ride around the Seine river where we say Paris by night. At light, the city it lit up, the monument all illuminated. It's a beautiful city at night, awe inspiring.

The ride was beautiful, and fun. Teenagers and young adults sit on the edge of river to wave to the boat riders, though some of the more crass ones will moon you. We shared a boat with a class of American teens. Under each bridge, and there were many, a shout went up. It pretty much had infected the entire boat around the middle, though at the end of the hour long boat ride, we did give up. We got to see the Eiffel tower at night and it's light show. It's every night on the hours, a sparkling Eiffel tower, lights sparkling all over an already lit beauty.

At night, you can see beautiful statues by the bridges, and you see the most lovely thing.

There are bridges that seem to have flecks of gold woven into them. These are lock bridge. Here, you take a lock and attached it to the bridge with your girlfriend or boyfriend. Then you throw the key into the river, and you'll love each other forever. At night, the lights make it seem like someone wove golden shapes into the bridges support.

It's a touching, and very European tradition. They do the same in Amsterdam, and in other European cities. It's not uncommon to have names or dates on the lock, scratched in or carved there professionally. It's all very romantic, and makes the bridges very beautiful.

I went to bed that night very excited for the next day, which was, I admit, the whole reason I had planned on coming to Paris. The third day, would be Versailles, the Versailles, and then, then the Louvre.

I couldn't wait.

One Final Byte: Paris by night is a must see event.

No comments:

Post a Comment